Unusual Side Effects of Interferon Beta-1a in Patient with Multiple Sclerosis
Maryam Tavakoli, Seyed Mohammad Yousof Mostafavi Pour Manshadi, Nafiseh Naderi, Abolfazl Dehghan, Sanaz Azizi
Mat Soc Med. 2012; 24(3): 203-205
This is a descriptive case report of a 30-year-old man with massive epistaxis, echymosis on arms, abnormal CBC and increased plasma urea and creatinine level (i.e. above normal range). Probably, these are as side effects of interferon beta-1a injection. This is the first report according to our literature search (Pub Med, Google scholar, ISI web of knowledge, ProQuest, MD consult, Science Direct, and SCOPUS) about interferon beta-1a related abnormal kidney function tests hereafter. Abnormal kidney function tests (i.e. increased plasma urea and creatinie level) is not a known as side effect of interferon beta-1a. This case indicates, likely potential for development of these side effects with this medication.
1. Bertrand Toulouse. Interferon therapy, National AIDS Treatment Advocacy Project (NATAP); New York [Online] 2010.Available from: http://www.hepcadvocacy.org/factsheets/Interferon.pdf
2. EMD Serono, Medication Guide, approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration; Rev (7), [Online] 2009; 09-20480.Available from: http://www.emdserono.com/cmg.emdserono_us/en/images/rebif_med_guide_tcm115_19766.pdf
3. Panitch H, Goodin DS, Francis G. et al. Randomized, comparative study of interferon ß-1a treatment regimens in MS. The EVIDENCE Trial. Neurology. 2002; 59: 1496-1506.
4. PRISMS Study Group. Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study of interferon ß-1a in relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis. Lancet. 1998; 352: 1498-1504.
5. Ropper AH, Brown RH. Multiple sclerosis and allied demyelinative disease. In: Victors M, Ropper AH, editors. Adam’s and Victor’s Principles of Neurology. 7th ed. NewYork: Mc Graw-Hill; 2005: 771-796.
6. Olek MJ, Dawson DM. Multiple sclerosis and other inflammatory demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system. In: Bradley GW, Daroff RB, Fenichel GM, Jankovic J, editors. Neurology in Clinical Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Butterworth & Heinemann, 2004: 1631-1664.
7. Weinstock-Guttman B, Bakshi R. Combination therapy for multiple sclerosis: the treatment strategy of the future? CNS Drugs. 2004; 18(12): 777-792.
8. European Medicine Agency. [Online] 2010.Available from: www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/…/WC500048682.pdf
9. Omudhome O, Jay W. Marks. FDA Prescribing Information. [Online] 2010. Available from: http://www.medicinenet.com/interferon/article.htm
10. Hohlfeld R. Biotechnological agents for the immunotherapy of multiple sclerosis: principles, problems and perspectives. Brain. 1997; 120: 865-916.
11. Jacobs LD, Cookfair DL, Rudick RA. et al. Intramuscular interferon beta-1a for disease progression in relapsing multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 1996; 39: 285-294.
12. The IFNB Multiple Sclerosis Study Group and the University of British Columbia MS/MRI Analysis Group. Interferon beta-1b in the treatment of multiple sclerosis: final outcome of the randomized controlled trial. Neurology. 1995; 45: 1277-1285.
13. Jacobs LD, Cookfair DL, Rudick RA. et al. A phase III trial of intramuscular recombinant interferon beta as treatment for exacerbating-remitting multiple sclerosis: design and conduct of study and baseline characteristics of patients. Mult Scler. 1995; 1: 118-135.
14. The IFNB Multiple Sclerosis Study Group. Interferon beta-1b is effective in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: I Clinical results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Neurology. 1993; 43: 655-661.
15. Paty DW, Li DKB, the UBC MS/MRI Study Group, the IFNB Multiple Sclerosis Study Group. Interferon beta-1b is effective in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: II MRI analysis results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Neurology. 1993; 43: 662-667.
16. Noseworthy JH, Lucchinetti C, Rodriguez M. et al. Multiple Sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 938-952.
17. A service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, Interferon beta-1a Subcutaneous Injection, [Online] 2008.Available from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a604005.html