Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Surgery Through Right Lateral Minithoracotomy – Early Experience of Clinical Centre of University of Sarajevo
Nermir Granov, Mirsad Kacila, Marko Solinas, Mattia Glauber
Med Arh. 2012; 66(5): 357-358
Introduction: In this article we would like to make an institutional report and our early experience in video-assisted right minithoracotomy approach for mitral valve surgery. Case report: Surgical technique include mitral valve repair or replacement through right lateral minithoracotomy, percutaneous cannulation for venous drainage and optional femoral or distal ascendant aortic cannulation for vacuum assisted CPB, direct cross clamping of the aorta with anterograde administration of the cardioplegic solution for inducing cardiac arrest. Mean CPB time was 128min +/- 41min, mean Cross clamping time was 70 min +/- 14min. Mean ICU stay was 1.2 days, while mean blood transfusion was 0,8 package/patient, no complications has occurred and the patients were discharged between the 4th and 7th postoperative day. Echocardiographically follow-up (2-6 months) showed absence of mitral valve regurgitation in the mitral repair patients and good functioning of prosthetic valves. Conclusion: Minimally invasive mitral valve procedures through right lateral minithoracotomy might be effective alternative to full sternotomy approach in mitral valve surgery.
1. Grossi EA, Loulmet DF, Schwartz CF, Ursomanno P, Zias EA, Dellis SL, Galloway AC. Evolution of operative techniques and perfusion strategies for minimally invasive mitral valve repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 Apr; 143(4 Suppl): S68-70. Epub 2012 Jan 27.PMID:22285326.
2. Holzhey DM, Shi W, Borger MA, Seeburger J, Garbade J, Pfannmüller B, Mohr FW. Minimally invasive versus sternotomy approach for mitral valve surgery in patients greater than 70 years old: a propensity-matched comparison. Ann Thorac Su rg. 2011 Feb; 91(2): 401-5. PMID: 21256279.
3. Kitamura T, Edwards J, Worthington M, Rathore KS, Misra M, Slimani EK, Ramana Kumar GV, Stubberfield J, Stuklis RG. Early results of minimally invasive mitral valve surgery: initial series in a public hospital in Australia. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Nov; 58(11): 568-72. Epub 2010 Nov 11. PMID: 21069495.
4. Galloway AC, Schwartz CF, Ribakove GH, Crooke GA, Gogoladze G, Ursomanno P, Mirabella M, Culliford AT, Grossi EA. A decade of minimally invasive mitral repair: long-term outcomes. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009 Oct; 88(4): 1180-4. PMID: 19766803.
5. Modi P, Rodriguez E, Hargrove WC 3rd, Hassan A, Szeto WY, Chitwood WR Jr. Minimally invasive video-assisted mitral valve surgery: a 12-year, 2-center experience in 1178 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Jun; 137(6): 1481-7. Epub 2009 Mar 29. PMID: 19464468.