Biljana Lazovic, Zoran Stajic, Biljana Putnikovic
Med Arh. 2012; 66(6): 420-422
Introduction: Aspergillosis is a serious pathologic condition caused by Aspergillus organisms and is frequently seen in immunocompromised patients. Aspergillus species causes a variety of pulmonary diseases such as saphrophyticus (aspergilloma/mycetoma), hypersensitivity reaction (allergic bronhopulmonary), semi- invasive (chronic necrotizing) and angioinvasive aspergillosis. Case report: We report a case of pulmonary aspergilloma (PA) in 38 years old patient who was previously healthy with complaints of fever and hemoptysis. PA was diagnosed radiologically and confirmed by serology. Conclusion: Oral itraconazole was administered. The patient responded well to the treatment with improvement in his systemic symptoms and regression of the pulmonary lesions.
1. Pulmonary aspergillosis: imaging findings with pathologic correlation.AJR Am J Roentgenol1994; 163: 811-815
2. Rakotoson JL, Razafindramaro N, Rakotomizao JR et al. Aspergillomas of the lung: report of 37 cases in Madagascar. Pan Afr Med J. 2011; 10: 4
3. Ma JE, Yun EY, Kim YE et al. Endobronchial aspergilloma: report of 10 cases and literature review. Yonsei Med J. 2011; 52(5):787-792.
4. Shah R, Vaideeswar P, Pandit SP. Pathology of pulmonary aspergillomas.Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2008; 51(3):342-345.
5. Croitoru A, Melloni B, Dupuy-Grasset M, Darde ML, Delage M, Bonnaud F. Rare form of semi-invasive aspergillosis in immunocompetent patient: case report. Pneumologia. 2000; 60(4): 222-224.
6. Ohba H, Miwa S, Shirai M, Kanai M, Eifuku T, Suda T, Hayakawa H, Chida K. Clinical characteristics and prognosis of chronic pulmonary aspergillosis. Respir Med. 2012; 106(5): 724-729.
7. Kousha M, Tadi R, Soubani AO. Pulmonary aspergillosis: a clinical review. Eur Respir Rev. 2011; 20(121): 156-174
8. Greene R. The radiological spectrum of pulmonary aspergillosis. Med Mycol. 2005; 43(1):147–154.
9. Horger M, Hebart H, Einsele H, et al. Initial CT manifestations of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in 45 non-HIV immunocompromised patients: association with patient outcome? Eur J Radiol. 2005; 55: 437–444.
10. Sadeq RA, Abutaleb AM, Mohtady HA, Abdel-Latif RS. Correlations between clinical and laboratory findings in patients investigated for aspergillosis. Egypt J Immunol. 2005; 12(1): 65-76.
11. Gross AM, Diacon AH, van den Heuvel MM, Janse van Rensburg J, Harris D, Bolliger CT Management of life-threatening haemoptysis in an area of high tuberculosis incidence. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009; 13(7): 875-880.
12. Bandoh S, Fujita J, Fukunaga Y, et al. Cavitary lung cancer with an aspergilloma-like shadow. Lung Cancer 1999; 26:195–8.
13. Sales Mda P. Chapter 5—Aspergillosis: from diagnosis to treatment. J Bras Pneumol. 2009; 35(12):1238-1244.
14. Marghli A, Zairi S, Osmen M, Ouerghi S, Boudaya MS, Ayadi A, Smati B, Kilani T. Conservative surgery in pulmonary aspergilloma. Rev Mal Respir. 2012; 29(3): 384-390
15. Kokkonouzis I, Athanasopoulos I, Doulgerakis N, Tsonis G, Lampaditis I, Saridis N, Skoufaras V. Fatal Hemoptysis due to Chronic Cavitary Pulmonary Aspergillosis Complicated by Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Tuberculosis. Case Rep Infect Dis. 2011; 2011:837146
16. Pagès PB, Abou Hanna H, Caillot D, Bernard A Place of surgery in pulmonary aspergillosis and other pulmonary mycotic infections. Rev Pneumol Clin. 2012; 68(2): 67-76
17. Yoshida K, Kurashima A, Kamei K, Oritsu M, Ando T, Yamamoto T, Niki Y. Efficacy and safety of short- and long-term treatment of itraconazole on chronic necrotizing pulmonary aspergillosis in multicenter study. J Infect Chemother. 2012; 18(3): 378-385.
18. Camuset J, Nunes H, Dombret MC, Bergeron A, Henno P, Philippe B, et al. Treatment of chronic pulmonary aspergillosis by voriconazole in nonimmunocompromised patients. Chest. 2007; 131: 1435–1441
19. Ruiz Júnior RL, de Oliveira FH, Piotto BL, Muniz FA, Cataneo DC, Cataneo AJ. Surgical treatment of pulmonary aspergilloma.J Bras Pneumol. 2010; 36(6): 779-783
20. Lejay A, Falcoz PE, Santelmo N, Helms O, Kochetkova E, Jeung M et al. Surgery for aspergilloma: time trend towards improved results? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2011; 13: 392-395.
21. Kim YT, Kang MC, Sung SW, Kim JH. Good long-term outcomes after surgical treatment of simple and complex pulmonary aspergilloma. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005; 79: 294-298.