The Secondary Composite Temporoparietal Lobe – Modification
Tarik Masic, Almir Dervisevic, Edita Dervisevic
Med Arh. 2012; 66(3): 204-205
Orbital defects after malignant tumor removal represent a major problem for satisfactory reconstruction. Treatment and surgical reconstruction according to the regular surgical protocol improves with each new case contributing to continuous improvement of surgical techniques in order to achieve better reconstruction of the defect. In our modification in 20 patients there was presented a new method of reconstruction of the defect where the orbits included also a part of the muscle (sternocleidomastoid muscle) for better stabilization at the desired position on the immediate ocular prosthesis installation site in order to quickly overcome the postoperative defect after orbital exenteration. Application of modified temporoparietal slice gives good functional and cosmetic results, and is recommended to be used for reconstruction of defects after orbital exenteration.
1. Masic T, Babajic M, Dervisevic A, Hassouba M. New Method for Maximum Mobilization of Temporalis Muscle Flap. Med Arh. 2012; 66(1): 61-62.
2. Brent B, Upton J, Acland RD, et al. Experience with the temporoparietal fascial free flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985. 177-188.
3. Cheney ML, Varvares MA, Nadol JBJr. The temporoparietal fascial flap in head and neck reconstruction. Arch Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 1993. 618-623.
4. Panje WR, Morris MR. The temporoparietal fascia flap in head and neck reconstruction. Ear Nose Throat J. 1991. 311-317.
5. Lai A, Cheney ML. Temporoparietal fascial flap in orbital reconstruction. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2000. 196-201.
6. Greenstein B, Strauch B. Reconstruction. In: Carl E Silver, ed. Atlas of Head and Neck Surgery. Churchill Livingstone. 1999. 63.
7. Horowitz JH, Persing JA, Nichter LS, Morgan RF, Edgerton MT. Galealpericranial flaps in head and neck reconstruction: anatomy and application. Am J Surg. 1984. 489-497.
8. Guyuron B. The role of flaps in the management of contracted eye sockets. Adv Ophthal Plast Recontr Surg. 1992. 143-157.