Haglund Syndrome with Pump Bump
Sami Kucuksen, Ali Yavuz Karahan, Kemal Erol
Med Arh. 2012; 66(6): 425-427
Haglund’s syndrome, which is an inflammation of the bursa and a bony enlargement on the back of the heel that most often leads to painful bursitis, is a rare cause of retrocalcaneal pain. The clinical diagnosis is often confusing as the clinical picture may mimic other causes of hindfoot pain such as isolated retrocalcaneal bursitis or hindfoot involvement from more systemic disorders such as seronegative spondyloarthropathies (Reiter’s syndrome, ankylosing spondylitis) or rheumatoid arthritis. This report is of a 60-year-old woman with a painful swelling of the right heel, who was diagnosed with Haglund syndrome. The characteristic clinical photograph (showing the prominent ‘pump bump’), radiographical and magnetic resonance imaging features are presented.
1. Toğrul E. Topuk ağrısı. Galenos Tıp Dergisi. 1999; 33: 32-36.
2. Haglund P. Beitrag zur Klinik der Achilles tendon. Zeitschr Orthop Chir. 1928; 49: 49-58.
3. Heneghan MA. Pavlov H. The Haglund painful heel syndrome: Experimental investigation of cause and therapeutic implications. Clin Ortop. 1984; 228-234.
4. Hung EHY. Kwok WK. Tong MMP. Haglund Syndrome-a Characteristic Cause of Posterior Heel Pain. J HK Coll Radiol. 2009; 11: 183-185.
5. Pavlov H. Heneghan MA. Hersh A. Goldman AB. Vigorita V. The Haglund syndrome: initial and differential diagnosis. Radiology. 1982; 144: 83–88.
6. Vega MR. Cavolo DJ. Green RM. Cohen RS. Haglund’s deformity. J Am Podiatry Assoc. 1984; 74: 129–135.
7. Dündar Ü. Pusak H. Kavuncu V. A Rare Cause of Heel Pain: Haglund’s Syndrome. Turk J Phys Med Rehab. 2008; 54: 33-35.
8. van Dijk CN. van Sterkenburg MN. Wiegerinck JI. Karlsson J. Maffulli N Terminology for Achilles tendon related disorders. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2011; 19: 835–841.
9. Narváez JA. Narváez J. Ortega R. Aguilera C. Sánchez A. Andía E. Painful heel: MR imaging findings. Radiographics. 2000; 20: 333-352.
10. Sella EJ. Caminear DS. McLarney EA. Haglund’s syndrome. J Foot Ankle Surg 1998; 37(2): 110–114.
11. Sofka CM. Adler RS.Pavlov H. Luchs S. Haglund’s Syndrome: Diagnosis and Treatment Using Sonography. HSSJ. 2006; 2: 27–29.