Validation of the Child Perceptions Questionnaire 8-10 in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Background: Paediatric oral disorders are numerous and it can be assumed that those have negative effect on the life quality in children. From 2002 to 2006 were developed the life quality measures for children aged 8-10 and 11-14 years, Child Perceptions Questionnaires, CPQs. Those are the components of the Child Oral Health Quality of Life Questionnaire (COHQOL). Aim: The aim of this study was to translate the CPQ for children 8 to 10 years into the one of the languages in Bosnia and Herzegovina, to cross-culturaly adapt the instrument, and to evaluate its comprehensibility among Bosnian language speaking children. Methods: Instrument was translated from English into the Bosnian language according to the recommended translation procedure. After the cultural adaptation, questionnaire was tested among 8–10 years old children (N=18). Results: During the cultural adaptation of the instrument, changes were made on three questions. One question had to be changed due to understanding difficulties. Conclusion: CPQ8-10 was translated and culturaly adapted. Testing among children showed that the Bosnia-Herzegovina version of the CPQ8–10 is comprehensive and it can be used for measuring oral health-related quality of life in children this age.
1. Campbell LA, O’Brien ER, Cappuccio AL, et al. Detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae TWAR in human coronary atherectomy tissues. J Infect Dis. 1995; 172: 585-588.
2. Danesh J, Whincup P, Lewington S, Walker M, Lennon L, Thomson A, Wong YK, Zhou X, Ward M. Chlamydia pneumoniae IgA titres and coronary heart disease. Prospective study and meta-analysis. Eur Heart J. 2002; 23: 371-375.
3. Drumm B, Perez-Perez GI, Blaser MJ, Sherman PM. Intrafamilial clustering of Helicobacter pylori infection. N Engl J Med. 1990; 322: 359-363.
4. Evans DJ Jr, Evans DG, Graham DY, Klein PD. A sensitive and specific serologic test for detection of Campylobacter pylori infection. Gastroenterology. 1989; 96: 1004-1008.
5. Gattone M, Iacoviello L, Colombo M, Castelnuovo AD, Soffiantino F, Gramoni A, Picco D, Benedetta M, Giannuzzi P. Chlamydia pneumoniae and cytomegalovirus seropositivity, inflammatory markers, and the risk of myocardial infarction at a young age. Am Heart J. 2001; 142: 633-640.
6. Grayston JT, Campbell LA, Kuo CC, et al. A new respiratory tract pathogen: Chlamydia pneumoniae strain TWAR. J Infect Dis. 1990; 161: 618-625.
7. Grayston JT, Kuo CC, Wang SP, Altman J. A new Chlamydia psittaci strain, TWAR, isolated in acute respiratory tract infections. N Engl J Med. 1986; 315: 161-168.
8. Hopkins RJ, Russell RG, O’Donnoghue JM, Wasserman SS, Lefkowitz A, Morris JG. Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori in Seventh-Day Adventists and other groups in Maryland. Lack of association with diet. Arch Intern Med. 1990; 150: 2347-2348.
9. Kiechl S, Egger G, Mayr M, Wiedermann CJ, Bonora E, Oberhollenzer F, Muggeo M, Xu Q, Wick G, Poewe W, Willeit J. Chronic infections and the risk of carotid atherosclerosis: prospective results from a large population study. Circulation. 103: 1064-1070.
10. Kuo CC, Shor A, Campbell LA, Fukushi H, Patton DL, Grayston JL. Demonstration of Chlamydia pneumoniae in atherosclerotic lesions of coronary arteries. J Infect Dis. 1993; 167: 841-849.
11. Leinonen M, Linnanmaki E, Mattila K, et al. Circulating immune complexes containing chlamydial lipopolysaccharide in acute myocardial infarction. Microbiol Pathol. 1990; 9: 67-73.
12. Linnanmaki E, Leinonen M, Mattila K, Nieminen MS, Valtonen V, Saikku P. Chlamydia pneumoniae – specific circulating immune complexes in patients with chronic coronary heart disease. Circulation. 1993; 87: 1130-1134.
13. Malaty HM, Graham DY. Importance of childhood socioeconomic status on the current prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection. Gut. 1994; 35: 742-745.
14. Mayr M, Kiechl S, Willeit J, Wick G, Xu Q. Infections, immunity, and atherosclerosis: associations of antibodies to Chlamydia pneumoniae, Helicobacter pylori, and cytomegalovirus with immune reactions to heat-shock protein 60 and carotid or femoral atherosclerosis. Circulation. 102: 833-839.
15. Miettinen H, Lehto S, Saikku P, Haffner SM, Rönnemaa T, Pyörölö K, Laakso M. Association of Chlamydia pneumoniae and acute coronary heart disease events in non-insulin dependent diabetic and non-diabetic subjects in Finland. Eur Heart J. 1996; 17: 682-688.
16. Muhlestein JB, Hammond Eh, Carlquist JF, et al. Increased incidence of chlamydia species within the coronary arteries of patients with symptomatic atherosclerotic versus other forms of cardiovascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1996; 27: 1555-1561.
17. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Helicobacter pylori in Peptic Ulcer Disease. Helicobacter pylori in peptic ulcer disease. JAMA. 1994; 272: 65-69.
18. Ong G, Thomas BJ, Mansfield AO, Davidson BR, Taylor-Robinson D. Detection and widespread distribution of Chlamydia pneumoniae in the vascular system and its possible implications. J Clin Pathol. 1996; 49: 102-106.
19. Patel P, Mendall MA, Carrington D, et al. Association of Helicobacter pylori and Chlamydia pneumoniae infections with coronary heart disease and cardiovascular risk factors. BMJ. 1995; 311: 711-714.
20. Perez-Perez GI, Dworkin B, Chodos JE, Blaser MJ. Campylobacter pylori antibodies in humans. Ann Intern Med. 1988; 109: 11-17.
21. Ramirez JA. Isolations of Chlamydia pneumoniae from the coronary artery of a patient with coronary atherosclerosis. Ann Intern Med. 1996; 125: 979-982.
22. Ridker PM, Rifai N, Rose L, Buring JE, Cook NR. Comparison of C-reactive protein and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in the prediction of first cardiovascular events. N E ngl J Med. 2002; 347: 1557-1565.
23. Rifai N, Ridker PM. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein: a novel and promising marker of coronary heart disease. Clin Chem. 2001; 47: 403-411.
24. Ross R. Atherosclerosis – an inflammatory disease. N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 115-126.
25. Saikku P, Leinonen M, Tenkanen L, Linnanmäki E, Ekman MR, Manninen V, Mänttäri M, Frick MH, Huttunen JK. Chronic Chlamydia pneumoniae infection as a risk factor for coronary heart disease in the Helsinki Heart Study. Ann Intern Med. 1992; 116: 273-278.
26. Shor A, Kuo CC, Patton DL. Detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in coronary arterial fatty streaks and atheromatous plaques. S Afr Med J. 1992; 82: 158-161.